Look here for some ideas for things to do locally with your children, Summer 2014, followed by up-to-date information on days and opening times.
1. Kids running wild? Lock up them up! Denmark Historical Museum is the old police station. On special request the staff will shut your kids up in the old prison cell and for the very brave …even turn the lights out.
2. Feeling adventurous? How about a Crocodile Burger Safari? Head to the Nullakai Peninsula. Taste some Crocodile and other native goodies at Bush Foods Factory and then play some croc inspired bite-chase at Anvils Beach.
3. Pick your own berries –maybe make a summer pudding? Visit Berry Farm & Edengate Blueberry Farm. for pick your own berries; blueberries, red & golden raspberries, loganberries, silvanberries, blackberries, boysenberries and marionberries. Delicious homemade ice-cream and preserves available at both farms.
Great for big kids and small. Small kids may nibble on some green berries – but what a great way to learn!
4. Deserve a very special treat? Blend your own hot chocolate at Swiss Annie’s Chocolate Lounge. Suitable for older children, who may enjoy whisking high quality chocolate drops into warm milk to make their own perfect blend. Younger children might be happy with Kid’s hot chocolate, which comes a bit cheaper. A good way to warm up after a bracing dip at Greens Pool.
5. Feed the animals at Pentland Alpaca Farm. When your child hollers at a goat for taking more than a fair portion…you’ll know they understand the concept of sharing, in theory at least! Stroke a koala, cuddle a rabbit, hand feed an alpaca and if you can bear the slobber, Kimba the Camel.
Opening days and times
Denmark Historial Museum Mitchell Street, Denmark
Open Tuesdays 2pm – 4pm. Thursdays 10am – 12pm and 2pm – 4pm. Sundays 2pm – 4pm. Ph: 9848 1781. Entry for gold coin donation
Bushfood Factory Located halfway between Albany and Denmark, on the Lower Denmark Road. Pass the Young’s Siding shop and after 5 km turn right into Piggot Martin Road. Main gate on the left after 2.3km. Phone 9845 2359
Open from 10am to 5pm on school and public holidays
Berry Farm-61 Lantkze Rd, off Scotsdale Tourist Drive (4 km from town). Phone: 9848 1226.
Open – main season December – January, 11.00am – 5.00pm, Wednesday to Monday. Closed Tuesday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, NY day and Australia Day.
After the main school break – open just weekends through to about Easter.
Edengate Blueberry Farm 685 Eden Road, Youngs Siding, 9845 2003
Open mid December 2012 and end of January, Thursday to Monday, between 10.30 am and 4.00 pm.
Swiss Annie’s Chocolate Lounge 2023 South Coast Hwy, between Forrest Hill Winery and Williams Bay tel. 9840 9708
Open everyday – 10am to 4:30pm
Pentland Alpaca Farm 2019 Scotsdale Rd, Denmark Phone (08) 98409262
Open daily 10am to 4pm